Vancouver Art Gallery
The Vancouver Art Book Fair takes place annually at the Vancouver Art Gallery (750 Hornby Street).
The Vancouver Art Gallery is recognized as one of North America’s most respected visual arts institutions. The Gallery focuses on innovative and ground-breaking exhibitions, extensive public programs and an emphasis on the historical and contemporary art of British Columbia and other international centres. The Gallery’s programs also explore the impact of images in the larger sphere of visual culture, design and architecture.
As a VABF attendee, you will also receive discounted entrance to The Vancouver Art Gallery for the weekend, so be sure to plan time for a visit. For more information on the gallery and its exhibitions, visit their website.
Welcome to Vancouver!
As a multicultural hub for arts, culture and entertainment, Vancouver embraces diversity and welcomes people from all walks of life. Galleries, boutiques, craft vendors, cafes and local breweries span the city in abundance. The spectacular mountains and proximity to the ocean make the city a great location for nature lovers. No matter how long or short your visit to Vancouver is, the city has something new and exciting for you to discover. Time to explore!
Coming from out of town?
- Portland: From Portland, take the I-5 North into Canada. Continue following the BC-99 N into the city to Hornby Street.
- Seattle: From Seattle, the I-5 North will also take you directly to Vancouver. Follow the same directions as from Portland.
- Kelowna: From Kelowna or the Okanagan, follow the BC-97, BC-5 S and Trans-Canada Hwy/BC-1 W to E 1st Avenue in Vancouver. Take exit 27 from Trans-Canada Hwy/BC-1 W and continue onto E 1st Avenue towards Hornby Street to arrive.
- Victoria: From downtown Victoria, head to the Swartz Bay ferry terminal via Patricia Bay Hwy/BC-17. For ferry schedules click here. Once you arrive at the Tsawwassen ferry terminal, take the BC-17, then the BC-99 to head into downtown Vancouver.
- Sunshine Coast: Make your way down to the Langdale ferry terminal in Gibsons, and catch the ferry at one of these times. Once you arrive at Horseshoe Bay, follow the Trans-Canada Hwy/BC-1 E, to exit 14 to get on the BC-1A/BC-99. Follow the highway to Robson Street, until you arrive at Hornby Street.
- Airport: If driving from the Vancouver International Airport, take Grant McConachie Way East to Granville Street. Continue on Granville Street to Smithe Street. From Smithe Street turn right onto Hornby Street to arrive.
Getting to the Fair
The VAG main entrance is located on the 700 block of Hornby Street, between West Georgia and Robson Street, in downtown Vancouver. The Gallery is accessible by multiple bus routes, is a short walk from Burrard and Granville Skytrain stations and the Vancouver City Centre Canada Line Station. There is paid parking available at the Hotel Vancouver parkade (enter from Hornby Street), Pacific Centre Mall parkade (enter from Howe Street) and Robson Square Complex (enter from Howe Street).
Use Google Maps to plan the best route to the Fair from your location.
As always, AirBNB is a great option for those who want to see the city from the eyes of a local. Some great neighbourhoods to stay in (and if not definitely check out!) include Strathcona, Yaletown, Downtown, Gastown, Mount Pleasant, Commercial Drive and Olympic Village. All are well-located to easily get to and from the fair.
Spending the day exploring the VABF works up an appetite. Start your morning with us, and take advantage of the the FREE coffee from sponsors Ethical Bean available throughout the day. As lunch rolls around, the Gallery Café at the VAG offers an array of sit down and takeout options. Delicacies range from elegant entrees, to tasty soups and salads, to decadent desserts